Previous month:
May 2017
Next month:
December 2017

September 2017

Frog it

Frogging post

When I removed the Winter Whispers cardigan from the blocking board I knew straight away that I was going to frog it. In fact I should have done it when I joined the arms to the body. Before the 40 odd yolk pattern rows. I knew then already.

Knitting and crochet is not a cheap hobby, not if you use small batch 100% hand dyed wool. Wool for a cardigan like this one can set you back in the region of £160.00. So getting it right is absolutely key!

I'm pretty sure that everyone coming across my blog is already a member of Ravelry (cause you probably came here from Ravelry!), and know the benefits of the magical resource that it is. And this resource can save you time and money if you just use it. This of course I should know having found wonderful advise while knitting Dear Husbands Ranger Cardigan (see previous post). But for some reason I didn't trust the notes people had written on their project pages for this Winter Whispers cardigan. For that I apologise. Whole heartedly. Because of course here I now sit, re knitting a cardigan that WAS ALREADY BLOCKED, and ready to wear.

So, why did I frog it? Well it was pretty unfortunate that the photo of the cardigan on the lovely model was in fact 2 sizes too big and I thought that this was the fit of the cardigan. ie you knit it in your size and the ease is built in. Now normally a pattern does talk about ease, this one didn't. Assumption = frogging a cardigan that WAS ALREADY BLOCKED, and ready to wear.

Having two skeins of yarn left when you've finished knitting is normally a sign that something in WRONG. Being on top of your yarn usage {as you knit} is kinda important.

Taking the time to measure and check the cardigan schematic before you settle on a size, saves time and money. Laziness = frogging a cardigan that WAS ALREADY BLOCKED, and ready to wear. 

Are you getting the picture?

Now I don't mind making mistakes, when it doesn't cost me too much time and no money. This one cost me a bit of time but really in the grand scheme of things it's really not a biggy. No money was lost as I have rewound the yarn and have started again. Did I learn a lesson? YES.

In fact I learnt a few and am pretty proud at how my knitting ability (the actual knitting) has come a long was in the past year and a half. And sometimes those wins over shadow the mess ups that we occasionally make.

I'm so looking forward to adding this lovely cardigan to my wardrobe. I'll be sure to share when it's done.

Thanks for stopping by.

C xx


Ranger cardigan for darling husband

Ranger cardi 6
Ranger cardi 6
Ranger cardi 6
Ranger cardi 6
Ranger cardi 6
Ranger cardi 6

In May, just in time for the warm weather to arrive, I finished darling husbands Ranger Cardigan. This was such a great knit with lots of learning. I'll admit to being very nervous about making a garment for DH, I was worried about fit and if he would even like the finished article.

So here are the details:
Ranger cardigan is from Brooklyn Tweed and can be bought from Ravelry or the BT website.
I used Brooklyn Tweed Shelter yarn, in colour Truffle Hunt bought from Loop London.
Gauge was set by the pattern and I used the recommended needle sizes, without making any changes to the numbers of stitches or advised measurements.
Top tip: Read the whole pattern including the notes on the last page before starting your cardigan. I had a tough time figuring out how to keep the pattern when increasing the sleeves and abandoned sleeve one to work on the body having only knit about 10 rows.
On my Ravelry project page I have referenced a lovely knitter, who has the most comprehensive notes, without whom I might not have finish this project.

I'm so thrilled with how this cardigan turned out and it has given me a good sizing reference for future projects.

C xx


Another happy hippopotamus

Happy hippo 2
 Happy hippo 2
Happy hippo 2

It's been ages since I last blogged! I've not stopped creating over the summer though so i'll share what I finished over the next few weeks.

Starting with this cutie pie! I made one last year and only managed to take one photo of it, so this time I was sure to get more.

A few details:
He's made with Scheepjes sunkissed cotton. I chose six colours for the flower part of the shape, using a dark grey for the last joining round.
I used a 2.5mm hook.
It's the hippy happypotamus pattern from ravelry. This is a very well written pattern with loads of step by step photos.
The toy stuffing is from hobbycraft.
I chose to just shape his eyes rather than use button or safety eyes.

This is such a fun make, really did enjoy it!

C xx