Hello, Eleanor here.
I can't resist patterned corduroy, whether straight off the bolt, or made up, so whenever I see a little girl's skirt at a car boot sale or charity shop, I snap it up (while wishing I was 40 years younger).
Here's my first before re-fashioning:
It had too much fullness, so I made tucks at the base, which, whilst reducing the width, kept a good capacity. The handle is a length of leather from an old belt, punched with a hole through which to attach buttons.
The skirt was lined, so I just had a few seams to stitch, closing up the bottom hems, a couple of buttons to sew on and it was done!
I had another skirt tucked away, a little more challenging:
but I love the pattern and the embroidery at the waist so much that I thought it was worth tackling.
I needed to take out the elastication, and construct a strap. I removed the bottom couple of inches, including the orange lace strip, and found some acid green broderie anglaise. I chose some matching buttons, and attached the strap
and magnetic closure before stitching the bottom edge (curving the corners), and adding a simple lining.
I love it:
I popped into a local charity shop recently and found this, for £1.25!
Watch this space.
Bye for now.